Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bookcase Makeover

I have never been one to re-do furniture and I am not very crafty, but I have been seeing everyone lately shopping at Goodwill and re-doing furniture.  Most of the time my perfectionism holds me back and I'm afraid to try things, but I am trying to get past that.  I figure  how much do I have to lose?  I recently spotted this ugly oak bookcase at Goodwill for $24.  It was very sturdy and a good height.  I debated for a while on if I should purchase it but then decided to buy it, not knowing what I was going to do with it.  Once I got home I realized that my daughter's room could desperately use some organization so I decided to paint the bookcase white to match her furniture.

I started this makeover before I started my blog so I didn't think to take a "Before" picture.  Here is the middle phase.  I started with a coat of primer.  You can still see the wood at the bottom where I hadn't painted yet.




I bought a quart of white gloss enamel paint and painted 2 coats, letting it dry well in between.  It may not be perfect but my 9 year old is thrilled with her new room.  I let her put her stuff on there as she wanted it, so it may not look that great to you, but she loves it and that's all that counts.  :)
Here is the after...

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Great job...looks great in Reagan's room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on facing your fears and trying this project. It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete